9 Helpful Written Expression Strategies
WRITTEN EXPRESSION STRATEGIES
1. Observe the margins on the page or the different lines and boxes on the form.
2. Try to stay on the lines or within the given space.
3. Use proper spacing or letter words.
4. Check grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Make sure you did not omit or repeat letters or strokes.
5. Pay attention to details. Cross and dot appropriate letters, close loops, and complete letters.
6. Use a dictionary for spelling and a thesaurus for word finding.
7. If you are having trouble expressing a thought in writing, try talking to yourself through it while writing. You may need to stop for a few minutes to think about it, and then try to write it again.
8. Read what you wrote aloud to double check organization of sentences, word usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation. For important letters or forms, you may want to have someone else proofread the information.
9. Always remember to proofread your writing. If you have the time, it may be helpful to put the information aside and check for mistakes later.